Friday, November 7, 2008

424: "His eye is on the sparrow..."

Hey y'all.

Three days later, I am still crying with joy and amazement.

The awe that fills my heart may never subside. For me, an African-American woman, to be living in the United States of America knowing that we have elected a man of color as our next president is so overwhelming that I can hardly put my feelings into words.

There are many who are saying that Barack Obama is the fulfillment of legacies, prophecies, Biblical promises, and more.

Who knows?

For some, it's their truth.

My truth is that the world is changing and I am so thankful that I lived to see the day.

Mr. Bliss and I have been talking to many people since that historic night. There is a lot of pride in the Black community and even among Whites who supported Obama's candidacy.

However, even in our own families, there were nay-sayers and McCain supporters.

*shrug*

To each his/her own...

For those of you out there who feel that you want to get more in touch with what this means to African-Americans, I'm here to help.

You can start by learning the "Black" National Anthem, "Lift Every Voice and Sing". Because really, it is a song about hope for all and I think Obama's election is our beacon.

And while you're there, check out the other "Negro Spirituals". You might find that you already know some of these songs.

Barack, mazel tov!


.

No comments: