Sunday, December 28, 2008

432: Time Keeps on Slippin'...

One of my favorite songs is "Fly Like an Eagle".

The version by the Steve Miller Band was my favorite as a young girl. Today I love Seal's version as well.

I don't know why I liked the song back in the 70s. But learning the lyrics all these years later has given me a real understanding of how I relate to the song.

First, it's timeless. The requests -- or demands, depending on how you see it -- made in the song are eternal. Or seem to be. I'm guessing that babies have been hungry, children have been shoeless, and people have been homeless in every era known to human kind. And people have been asking for (or demanding) remedies to those ills since the conditions have existed.

Secondly, it inspires me to action. I can't save the whole world but I know what I can do to help and I do my small part as often as I can.

Lastly, the song also inspires me to transcend my current physical body for what lies beyond. It reminds me of dreams of flying and of emotions I can't explain in words.


No comments: