Monday, December 29, 2008

434: Bliss has been crocheting for charity.

.

Yep, that's what I've been doing for the past month or so.

It's been fun as well as a learning experience for me.

I've been crocheting for over 30 years and for most of that time, I've had an aversion to reading patterns. I'm not sure why.

Many many years ago, I made a cardigan for a baby cousin. I don't recall any problems reading the pattern and the cardigan looked like a cardigan when I was done.

But since then, I believe I've only made things I haven't needed patterns for.

Until now.

I don't remember how I came across Save the Children's "Knit One, Save One" campaign. After I read all the details, I decided I was gonna dive in and make some tiny little baby hats.

Although I was told that I made a hat for the same baby who got the cardigan all those years ago, I don't remember making one.

My first hat was flat panel that I stitched together and gathered at the crown. The idea of crocheting a circle was scary. I don't know why

But it was a pain doing it that way and I wasn't very happy with the way it turned out. So I made the remainder of the hats following the pattern for the round hats.

I completed nine (9) baby hats and a friend from one of my needlework groups gave me four (4) that she'd knitted a while ago.

The hats had to arrive by December 31. With the Christmas holiday falling in there, I thought I should mail them out at least two weeks early.

Well that didn't happen.

I got them over to FedEx on December 23.

Now I'm making scarves for the 2009 Special Olympics Winter Games. I'm almost done with my first one. I have enough yarn left for at least two more, maybe three. I'm doing a simple long panel, single crochet in the back loop only, to produce a stretchier item.

The scarves are due by January 15. Hopefully, I'll be mailing them no later than January 9 (a Friday).

I am so thankful to have the time, materials, skill, and motivation to work on projects for charity.

So many people have helped me in my life... I'm grateful for the opportunity to give back.

Amen.


.

No comments: