Monday, July 2, 2007

123: the visitors

well y'all, the visit is a real test of my diplomacy and kind heart.

my mother is being an absolute harridan to her husband. i know he's getting on her last nerve and i know what it's like to want to curse out the offending party. i know she's dog tired from dealing with him every day and not having any time to herself.

but my stepfather has alzheimer's.

as with most things that affect us humans, i think the reasons she's being so nasty to him are many-layered and i won't go into them all here. i also think she needs to get into a support group and get some therapy as well. her control issues are raging out of control because sometimes situations related to caring for people with alzheimer's are beyond anyone's control.

my stepfather is staying at another relative's tonight, to give my mother time to get some rest.

one thing about my mother that is pissing me off is the way she wants everyone to feel sorry for her but she rejects suggestions of help with, "no, that won't work. you just don't understand."

well dammit, something had better work or she's gonna be dead from all the stress and my stepfather will still be here cracking jokes and cutting the fool with all and sundry.

.

1 comment:

Clifton said...

I am sure he was nice to her when you weren't looking. Alzheimer's is one of those conditions that test the people closest to the patient. I hope your mom is ok.