Wednesday, July 11, 2007

142: sleeping 'mongst the woodland creatures

yesterday's carnival post over at Crazy Hip Blog Mamas was a request for camping stories.

oooooooooooooooh no!

i hate camping. "-(

i'm talking about the rustic tent- or sleeping-bag-on-the-ground kinda camping that's done in the woods or a backyard.

i can't do it.

it all goes back to when i was a young gal and didn't know any better...

i let my momma send me to sleep away camp. several times.

don't get me wrong. i loved sleep away camp. i went a few summers and even one winter with a school group.

we slept in nice cabins, ate good food, made new friends, communed with nature...

but there was a part of sleep away camp that frightened me. it was the Overnight in the Woods that happened once every camping adventure. i'm a city girl by birth and i grew up in tha hood. sleeping outside was something we just did not do.

where we grew up, the only people who slept outside were homeless or drunk; sometimes dead.

out of the 3 or 4 (maybe 5) Overnight in the Woods experiences, i can only remember small snippets of one (1): i recall hiking to the location, rain, and pork and beans. i also remember hyperventilating at the thought of not being able to sleep in the middle of the shelter.

and lawd only knows what we slept on or wiped our butts with on that trek cuz i don't remember seeing one sleeping bag or roll of toilet paper.

so as y'all can see, while the Overnight in the Woods seemed like a good idea to who ever thought us ghetto city kids needed that kinda action, it was obviously very traumatic for me.

on the other hand, i sometimes fantasize about living in a big ole cabin on a wooded mountain top. but it will never happen y'all. i am terrified of living in secluded locations or anywhere too close to wooded areas.

but if i wasn't afraid, i'd spend the rest of my life camping out on a mountaintop somewhere warm and sunny, with 8 % humidity.

my house would be shaped like a fat, 2-storied oval. the lower floor would be an undivided, flowing space of great room/kitchen. the upper floor would be my bedroom (with a balcony) and bathroom.

i would only live with my favorite things: books, my laptop, a reliable internet connection, a printer, an endless supply of paper, and assorted writing instruments. i would write several hours a day, eat organic produce, and drink my favorite teas and Smart water.

my wardrobe would be kinda bland: 10 dresses in the same style (2 royal blue, 2 robin's egg blue, 2 navy blue, 2 aquamarine, 2 turquoise) and i'd never wear shoes.

that's my ideal camping trip. :-)

now haul your gear on over to Crazy Hip Blog Mamas to see what other people are saying about camping. that's where i'm headed. ;-)
.
.
.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Visiting from CHBM! I'm like you! Just not a camper!

Maude Lynn said...

I grew up in the country, so the outdoors, even at night, doesn't freak me out or anything. However, I still don't want to sleep on the ground!

Great post!

Crimson Wife said...

I'm not much of a tent camping girl either. My family used to drag us every year for the 4th of July weekend and it was horrible!

Amanda said...

I've never tried cabin camping because its not something that they have in Malaysia but perhaps one day I'll live somewhere with it.

Damselfly said...

Good heavens, even a camper like me has to have a sleeping bag and toilet paper!

Political Season said...

Amongst the list of things marriage did to my brain:

1. I went jet ski riding on our honeymoon, and uhhh....I can't swim.

2. We went on a nature hike, canoeing and through nature trails for our 4th anniversary. I had on a sorority t-shirt, a ruined $65 hairdo and a realization - outside is for painting.

Loved the post, for a city girl, who had similar observations about who slept outside and equal concerns about sleeping at other people's houses.